Monday, June 13, 2011

Shepherds Pie....I think!

What to cook for dinner is a question that plagues me daily!  I love cooking and my husband prefers a home cooked meal, so I try to cook on most nights.  Don't get me wrong, there are many nights where this DOES NOT happen....but I can honestly say that I try my best.  As roamed the grocery store this afternoon looking for inspiration I was feeling completely stumped.  I wanted something good and hearty for Carter, but also full of vegetables and nutrition for Rhyan.  I ended up buying a hodge podge of things and created what I think is basically Shepherds Pie.  My sister Logan joined us for dinner and my "Shepherd Pie" was a success.  I thought I would share the recipe in case you ever want a slightly random, but veggie packed dinner. 

Ingredients:

1/2 pound Yukon gold potatoes (cut into 1 inch pieces)
1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
1/2 cup onion (diced)
2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1 cup frozen peas (thawed)
1 cup chopped carrots
2 cups of fresh spinach (chopped)
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
6 ounces tomato paste

1.  Preheat oven to 400.
2.  Place potatoes in large pot and cover with water.  Boil until fork tender.
3.  Mash the potatoes and season to your liking.  I added milk, 1/2 stick butter, chipotle seasoning,
     salt, and pepper.


4.  Brown the meat; then drain and set aside.
5.  Coat your saute pan with cooking spray and then saute onions and garlic until soft.
6.  Add the next 6 ingredients and simmer; then return meat to the mixture.



7.  Pour the meat and vegetable mixture into baking dish and then top with the potatoes.


8.  Bake for about 20 minutes then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment